Sunday, August 17, 2014

DHL Race

Each year “DHL”, the International Express Mail company, sponsors races across Denmark for a three days.

This year’s race in Odense drew 18,000 participants.  It always amazes me how many people in Denmark walk, run, bicycle, and are just physically active.  It is infectious!!

These races consist of walking events, where teams walk 5 kilometers, and a rely race, where teams of 5 runners run 5 kilometers each, passing a baton off to the next runner.

OMT, the Danish Ship Design and Engineering firm I work with participated, as they always do, in this wonderful event.

Let me start off by saying I DID NOT RUN.  I was going to, trained to run, but hurt my foot.  That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

OMT had a tent and Chef Jan and Ann grilled chicken, sausages, and prepared an wonderful meal for all participants. (My hurt foot did not preclude me from eating. Oh the suffering I had to endure for the race.)




It looked like rain all day, but luckily it never did



Some of the walking teams




The people of OMT

After the walkers came in, the rely race started.


Thousands at the starting line



And they were off!!!!

Gaston Lamontagne and his daughter Anna ran on one of the rely teams.


Gaston and Anna warming up, with Pernille looking on

As each leg of the rely would take about 25 to 30 minutes to complete, when the walkers were done, Chef Jan fired up the grill and started feeding everyone.  As the runners finished, they all joined in.


This was the biggest Weber Grill I had every seen

 

As people were eating, Anna waited for her turn in the rely.


And then she was off!!


She crossed the finish line in just over 28 minutes!


Much better than I would have done!!

The following are some photos of OMT




I want to thank OMT for making me feel like one of the family.  The race was great, food superb, but the people are the best.

2 comments: