Sunday, June 8, 2014

Nazis in Odense?

I haven't posted an entry to my blog is several weeks.

On May 25th, my wife's sister Jan died.  Mary was able to get back to the states in time to be with her before she passed.  She is there with her family now.

I will always have you in my heart Jan.

This morning I walked over to get a cup of coffee at my favorite bakery.  As I walked around in the morning quiet, I couldn't believe what I saw pull up in front of me.



Now I'm a fan of old cars, but is not often that I see a vintage Mercedes pull up driven by German soldier, a German Aid de Camp, and two Nazi officers!

I stood other drinking my coffee, taking photos, and wondering what was going on.  Was this some sort of protest?  An invasion?  And I wasn't the only one staring.  There were several people in the square looking at the car and soldiers nervously.

No one around me made a move, so I walked up and said "Nice car, what's going on?"

The officer asked me where I was from (Once again, Southern accent gave me away). When I said the USA, he smiled and handed me a brochure.


There is an exhibit at the Odense history museum about the German occupation of Denmark during World War 2!

The exhibit is focusing on sabotage of Danish railways, with a demonstration of how it was accomplished.  It sounds very interesting, I may have to attend.

They were all very nice, directed me to where the museum was, and were all very interested in why I was there, and the USA in general.  The driver told me he used to live in Hawaii!

Once the rest of the people saw me talking to them, the mood changed and everyone started approaching them.

Just goes to show you what a simple question will get you!


My new friends in Odense.


No comments:

Post a Comment