Saturday, June 21, 2014

I meet the Queen of Denmark

Okay, I didn't actually MEET the Queen of Denmark, but I did get to see her, and she DID drive by my apartment.

On Thursday, the 19th of June, the Queen of Denmark, Margrethe Alexandrine Þorhildur Ingrid (or Daisy, as she is affectionately known by all of Denmark), arrived in Odense with her husband,  Henri Marie Jean André, Count of Laborde deMonpezat, better known as HRH Prince Henrik of Denmark.

Now when you are the Queen of Denmark, travel around your country is done in great style, befitting a Queen.


The Royal Yacht!

The Royal Yacht Dannebrog was named by Queen Alexandrine in Copenhagen in 1931 and hoisted its flag for the first time on 26 May 1932. Dannebrog now serves as the official and private residence for the Royal Couple and other members of the Royal Family when they are on official visits overseas or on summer cruises in home waters.

Length: 78.43 m
Width: 10.40 m
Draught: 3.62 m
Mast height: 23.00 m
Displacement, fully loaded: 1238 tons

The royal compartment includes The Queen’s and the Prince Consort’s studies, a dining salon, a lounge, the bedrooms and more. HM The Queen and HRH The Prince Consort have taken a personal interest in the interior design, the choice of furniture and general outfitting. The royal compartment contains furniture and fittings from the previous royal vessel from 1879.

But enough about the ship (I do love ships).  The Queen was scheduled to arrive at 10 AM and the Queen always arrives on time!


At 1000 exactly, the Royal Yacht docked.



The cutest little girl had flowers and gave them to the Queen and curtsied.


The Queen then walked down the red carpet (amazing how that carpet appears everywhere she goes.  I'm lucky to get tile!!!!)


There was much pomp and circumstance!


Anna and Gaston were there with me to great the Queen.  What a cutie!  And of course I mean Anna!!!


There were lots of children there with flags to greet "Daisy"!


The Queen of Denmark


There was a very big crowd there to greet the Queen


The Queen's husband, HRH Prince Henrik


After the Queen greeted the crowd, they got into their "transportation".  A 1958 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, licence tag "Crown 1"

It is good to be the Queen!



After the Queen left, I went back to work.  As I went home, guess what I saw across the street at my favorite bakery?  The Queen on a tour of Odense.  I watched her get into her Rolls.


And drive by me!


It was a very good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment