Sunday, May 18, 2014

Fishing Trip

On Friday, Gaston Lamontagne, Gary Latimer and I went fishing.  Gaston is a member of a private fishing club just outside of Odense in Tarup and invited us for fishing and a Shore Lunch, a tradition in Canada, where Gaston is from. Combination Danish and Canadian traditions, with two Americans thrown in for good measure!

Gaston's wife Pernille dropped us off, coming back later with Mary and the rest of the Lamontagne clan, Emil and Anna.  Anna brought a friend from school, Laura.

The fishing club is located on a series of small lakes that were once sand quarries.   It is called the "Klub LB30" or the 30 pound club, founded in 1983.  Not sure why 30 pounds, optimism perhaps!   The club has these lakes stocked with rainbow trout.  Our job was to catch enough fish for lunch!  Anyone who knows me knows I am not a fisherman. But when in Rome (or Denmark!)



The Fishing Lodge

When we got there, it was overcast and cold, but by lunch, it was glorious!  The perfect day!  The area is beautiful, like a park.  There were three lakes we fished.  Gaston had extra gear for the amateur, so I was set.




Gary was the first to catch a fish.  The colors of the fish are incredible!





As I watched Gary catch his fish, all I hoped for was not to be skunked!  Just one fish, that's all I wanted.  I had no sooner thought that when I caught one!!  


What a thrill.  I was surprised had much fun it was.

Then Gaston caught one!

We each caught 2, but kept 4 beauties for lunch.


Pernille, Mary and the gang arrived shortly after this.  Gary started a fire and Gaston started filleting the catch.  


He cut the fillets into chunks.


 Battered the chunks, and fried them in oil on the fire.


Some of the best fish I have ever eaten!


That with bread, potatoes and onions, baked beans, lemon cake for dessert and good friends, a great day out.


After lunch, Anna and Laura wanted to try fishing.



,

Laura was one happy little girl!

Two final photos.  My Danish fishing license for the day.



I just hope I did not break any of these rules.  I would love to go back!



No comments:

Post a Comment