Saturday, February 8, 2014

OMT

I have been putting in some long hours this week at work and haven't had time for a blog entry.  I thought for this one I would give you a tour of where I work and why I'm here.

I work for Bath Iron Works (BIW), a shipyard in Bath, Maine.  BIW has a working relationship with Irving Shipyard (ISI), located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.  ISI has a contract to design and build the Arctic Offshore Patrol Ship (AOPS) for the Canadian Navy.  ISI subcontracted the design work to Odense Maritime Technologies (OMT), a ship design firm in Odense, Denmark.

ISI needed a Design Liaison Manager to work with OMT on the AOPS design.  They asked BIW and that's how I ended up in Denmark.

BIW to ISI to OMT for AOPS.

I wouldn't have this job if it weren't for a long list of acronyms!

Odense Maritime Technologies

The building I work in was a grain warehouse that has been beautifully renovated into an office straight out of "Architectural Digest"!


Odense Maritime Technology main office

 
View across the canal from the office

 Grain Elevator across the canal

The canal just outside my office window is a deep water canal and connects to Odense Fjord.  Each day we can watch large ships go by.



Not your typical Ship design Office!

When they renovated the building, they left the machinery used to pump the grain into storage


Did I mention that OMT has a chef on staff to prepare us lunch each day?  Chef Jan sends out a menu to let us know what to expect for the week.


Unbelievable food, from broiled Salmon to Curried Chicken over wild rice to Danish meatballs with brandy gravy and asparagus wrapped in bacon.   Homemade bread and homemade butter.  Salads, fruits, cold cuts, the list goes on and on!  This is prepared for all the employees at OMT each day.




I am glad I am riding my bicycle to work each day.  If not, I would have already gained 30 pounds!

Everyone at OMT has been friendly and welcomed "the American" with open arms.  Many thanks to all the employees at OMT for their hospitality,  and a special thanks to Thomas Knudsen, COO of OMT for allowing me to take these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment