Saturday, February 15, 2014

Danish Cheese

I have always been a fan of cheese.  Cheese and crackers are like heroin to me.  In the evenings, after dinner, I have a ritual I've enjoyed since, well, since I can remember.

I get out the box of crackers.  Usually Ritz, but I do love Wheat Thins as well.  I grab some.  Now, the key is to not count them.  Just grab some.  (Just so you don't think I am eating a box of crackers every night, I usually end up with 5 or 6 crackers, but I'm getting ahead of myself).

Put the crackers on a plate.  Get the block of cheese and the cheese slicer we have had for 30 years.  Slice off the cheese, BUT DON'T COUNT THE SLICES!  Put the cheese back into the refrigerator, the crackers away, and the slicer in the sink.

Now comes the fun part (or weird part, your call, but I really don't care).  I put a slice of cheese on each cracker and put the cracker with cheese back on the plate.  If the planets are in alignment, the number of crackers and number cheese slices agree and I enjoy a snack.  If they do NOT agree, I enjoy my snack anyway.   That's the beauty of this.  Either way, I get cheese and crackers.

You enjoy your snacks your way, and I will enjoy mine my way!

By this time I am sure you are asking yourself, "What's this got to do with Danish Cheese?".  Absolutely nothing!  I just thought I would tell you how I ate my cheese and crackers every night.


When I would get the block of cheese out every night back in the good ole USA, it was usually Sharp Cheddar.  Occasionally Blue Cheese, and if I was feeling really daring, I might go with a nice Goat Cheese with herbs.

Now that we are in Denmark, Mary and I have been going to an open air market every Saturday Morning.  You may have seen some of my posts about the flowers and vegetables.  Well folks, I found the cheese truck!

The aroma as you walk up to the truck is almost overpowering, but in a wonderful way.  Giant wheels of cheese dipped in wax.  Small wedges already cut.  Point to one, and a sliver of cheese is handed to you to taste and savor.

Cheeses of every shape, smell, taste, and country!  Gruyere, Gouda (smoked and plain), Swiss, Edam, Butterkase, Havarti, Roquefort, and good old Cheddar!  The list goes on and on.







Today we brought home a block of 5 different Cheddars in one, a wedge of Dolaner Hard Cheddar from Holland, and a Pesto (yes Pesto!) infused Gouda that is bright green and wonderful!



All I need to do now is find the Ritz crackers!  But as good as the cheese is here, I may have to broaden my cracker palette as well.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment